(Seasonal) 1-Day Tour from Takayama: Alpine Splendor - Shinhotaka Ropeway and Kamikochi
April - November
09:00 - 18:00
(Seasonal) 1-Day Tour from Takayama: Alpine Splendor - Shinhotaka Ropeway and Kamikochi
Embark on a captivating journey to the heights of the Japanese Alps with our ‘Alpine Majesty’ tour. Starting from Takayama, this full-day adventure leads you through the awe-inspiring landscapes of the Shinhotaka Ropeway and into the tranquil beauty of Kamikochi. Experience the exhilaration of ascending the Shinhotaka Ropeway, offering panoramic vistas of mountainous peaks and verdant valleys. Then, immerse yourself in the serene splendor of Kamikochi, where tranquil rivers, picturesque bridges, and pristine mountain scenery await.
This tour is a perfect blend for those passionate about nature and keen on experiencing the diverse beauty of Japan’s highlands. From the thrilling heights of the Shinhotaka Ropeway to the peaceful trails of Kamikochi, you’ll encounter a spectrum of natural wonders, making for a truly unforgettable day in the great outdoors
- Experience an exhilarating two-staged ride on the Shinhotaka Ropeway. Ascend through the changing landscapes of the Northern Japan Alps and marvel at the panoramic vistas from the observation deck. At the summit, step onto the observation deck and be engulfed in 360-degree vistas of the surrounding peaks and valleys.
- Discover the tranquility of Kamikochi, a highlight of the Japanese Alps. Stroll along the Azusa River to the iconic Kappa Bridge, where the serene natural scenery sharply contrasts with the morning’s alpine vistas. This peaceful area, with its lush forests and towering peaks, offers a perfect setting for relaxation and reflection amidst the beauty of the great outdoors.
- Enjoy a personal exploration period in Kamikochi, allowing you to connect with nature at your own pace. Whether it’s a relaxing moment by the river, a stroll to Myojin Pond, or capturing the stunning landscape through your lens, this time is yours to cherish the beauty of the Japanese Alps.
The adventure begins at 9:00 AM at Takayama Station, where you’ll be warmly greeted by your guide, ready to embark on a journey to the Northern Japan Alps. The drive to the Shinhotaka is not just a transition but a part of the experience, setting the tone for a day filled with natural discovery and awe-inspiring views. Along the way, you’ll witness the gradual transformation of the countryside, from quaint towns to the lush, rolling hills of the Hida wilderness, each kilometer bringing you closer to the breathtaking beauty of the Japanese Alps.
Upon reaching the Shinhotaka Ropeway, prepare for a thrilling ascent that promises to be a highlight of the day. The ropeway, unique in its two-staged journey, elevates you through layers of the alpine landscape, each stage unveiling an increasingly spectacular view of the Northern Japan Alps. As you ascend, the scenery transforms before your eyes, from lush green valleys to rugged, mountainous peaks. The gondola’s large windows offer unobstructed views, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in the breathtaking surroundings.
After reaching the observation deck, you are greeted with views that stretch across the horizon, encompassing a vast expanse of the alps’ majesty. Standing atop this vantage point, you’re afforded a moment of awe and wonder. The panoramic views here are not merely sights to behold; they are experiences in themselves. The deck offers an unparalleled opportunity to witness the dynamic light and shadow over the alpine terrain, observe distant peaks piercing the sky, and feel the grandeur of these ancient mountains. It’s a place where the magnificence of nature can be felt in every vista and breath of mountain air.
The observation deck at the Shinhotaka Ropeway is more than a viewing platform; it’s a portal to an immersive alpine park. Nestled among towering peaks, this elevated area offers paths through alpine flora, revealing the subtle beauty and resilience of high-altitude nature. Thoughtfully designed to blend with its surroundings, the park provides a serene, informative experience. Here, amidst the whispers of the alpine breeze and stunning mountain panoramas, you’ll find a perfect spot for reflection, photography, or simply soaking in the tranquility and majesty of the Japanese Alps.
The afternoon of our tour is a serene journey into the heart of Kamikochi, a gem in the Japanese Alps renowned for its pristine natural beauty. As we enter this tranquil haven, the contrast to the morning’s high-altitude adventure is immediately apparent. The lush greenery, the gentle murmur of the Azusa River, and the majestic peaks standing guard create a harmonious blend of peace and wilderness. Kamikochi invites you to immerse yourself in its serene landscapes, where every step reveals a new facet of nature’s artistry.
Our walk takes us near the Taisho pond, and up along the banks of the Azusa River, a lifeline of the valley, known for its crystal-clear waters that flow gently through the heart of Kamikochi. The river’s path is a mosaic of scenic spots, perfect for pausing to appreciate the tranquil beauty or capture a photograph that speaks of nature’s calm. As we follow the river’s course, we’ll encounter the iconic Kappa Bridge, an architectural marvel that offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains. This spot is a favorite for visitors, not only for its picturesque setting but also for the legends and lore that surround it, adding a mystical aura to its wooden structure.
After the guided walk, you’ll have 1 hour and 30 minutes of free time to explore Kamikochi at your own pace. This period offers a perfect opportunity for those interested in venturing further to discover its secluded beauty that Kamikochi has to offer. During your free time, whether you choose to relax by the Azusa River, capture photographs of the stunning landscape, or seek out the quiet charm of Myojin Pond, Kamikochi invites you to connect with its natural elegance. As the day concludes and the golden hues of the setting sun bathe the valley, your return journey will be enriched with memories of the tranquil and untouched beauty of the Japanese Alps, a testament to the enduring splendor of nature.
Finally, you will meet up again with your guide at around 17:00 to conclude the tour and start your trip back to Takayama, a journey which will take roughly 1 hour. You can expect to be back in Takayama around 18:00. Guests who wish to continue onwards to Matsumoto and further to Nagano may also do so at this point, and the cost of that journey is covered as part of this tour. The drive to Matsumoto similarly takes a little over 1 hour, and you should not expect to be back any earlier than 17:30. Your guide will offer any assistance necessary to make sure you reach your destination, wherever it is, on time.
*If you prefer to end the tour at Kamikochi – allowing you to stay there overnight. Please inform your guide, and they will offer any additional help you may need. See our FAQs below for details.
|Start your tour at Takayama Station, where your guide will greet you begin the tour.
The meeting point will be immediately outside the ticket gates in the station, near the walkway to the left.
|Arrive at the Shinhotaka Ropeway and prepare for an awe-inspiring ride. Ascend through the stunning landscapes of the Northern Japan Alps and enjoy panoramic views from the observation deck.
|After descending the Shinhotaka Ropeway, enjoy a short break for lunch. This is a perfect opportunity to relax and refuel with a packed lunch or at a local restaurant or scenic spot nearby.
Note: There will be an option to stop at a convenience store to buy/bring a packed lunch to enjoy during the tour. Alternatively, there are a few dining options available on the Shinhotaka Ropeway and in Kamikochi, although choices may be limited.
|Explore the serene Kamikochi. Our guided walk includes the mesmerizing Taisho Pond and a leisurely stroll along the Azusa River, leading to the iconic Kappa Bridge.
|Enjoy 1 hour and 30 minutes of personal exploration time. Relax by the Azusa River, capture the breathtaking landscape with your camera, or visit the enchanting Myojin Pond.
|Reunite with your guide at the designated meeting point to conclude your tour. Guests who wish to do so will now return to Takayama.
Guests who want to continue to Matsumoto and Nagano may also do so at this point. Both are covered as part of your tour.
Your guide will offer any assistance necessary, so feel free to ask them for help.
|Arrive at Takayama and conclude your tour.
If your tour concludes in Matsumoto Station you will arrive at around 18:30.
Guests continuing to Nagano expect to arrive around 19:30-19:45
TOUR MEETUP POINT
1 / TAKAYAMA STATION @ 9:00 A.M.
The meetup point is outside of the ticket gates at JR Takayama Station. Once you have left the gates, look to your left to see a walkway and a carving depicting an ornate wagon. You may wait nearby there until the tour begins at 9:00 A.M. Be sure to look for the guide wearing a SNOW MONKEY RESORTS tour tag. There is also a waiting room with benches nearby for guests who have arrived early and would like to sit down; however, please make sure that you have left the waiting room and are in place at the meetup point at 9:00.
- Transportation to/from the Shinhotaka Ropeway and Kamikochi
- Round-trip tickets for the Shinhotaka Ropeway.
- Guided walks at the Shinhotaka Ropeway and Kamikochi
- English speaking guide
- This tour involves several hours of walking in the outdoors. We recommend that you wear shoes and clothes which are easy to walk in. Please check the weather forecast before you head to the meetup point and prepare an umbrella or rain coat if necessary.
- In the summer months, while the lower regions enjoy warm weather, it’s important to remember that mountain temperatures can be significantly cooler. Even during the height of summer, temperatures in the mountains can be refreshingly cool, especially in the mornings and evenings. At higher altitudes, it’s not uncommon for temperatures to drop considerably. We recommend bringing layers of warm clothing, including a light jacket or sweater, to ensure your comfort throughout the day.
- There will be free time at both Shinhotaka Ropeway and Kamikochi for guests to enjoy the locations at their own pace. However, please make sure that you are at the respective meetup points at the time stated by your guide. If you get lost or need assistance, feel free to call the number which is listed on your tour pass, and our staff will assist you immediately.
- Note on Lunch: You will have the option when we stop at a convenience store to buy and bring a packed lunch to enjoy during the tour. Alternatively, there are a few dining options available on the Shinhotaka Ropeway and in Kamikochi, although choices may be limited. We recommend planning your lunch accordingly to make the most of your day.
- Q. I’d like to join this tour from Tokyo/Nagoya. Is that possible?
- Unfortunately, it is not possible to reach the meetup point for this tour on time if leaving from Tokyo/Nagoya on the same day as the tour. We recommend guests to spend the night in Takayama or a nearby area on the day before the tour in order to be able to reach the meetup point by the starting time.
Please feel free to contact us if you would like more information.
- I’d like to end at Kamikochi. Can I do this and can I bring my luggage?
- Yes, but please note however, that luggage is typically restricted to one suitcase per guest. If you are traveling with more, please contact us prior to booking to discuss our ability to accommodate your request.
- What should I wear/bring?
- Please wear clothing appropriate to the season in which you are taking the tour, and check the weather forecast ahead of time. Guests may wish to bring rain coats or umbrellas on rainy days, or sunscreen to avoid sunburn during the summer months.Even in the summer months, while the lower regions enjoy warm weather, it's important to remember that mountain temperatures can be significantly cooler. Even during the height of summer, temperatures in the mountains can be refreshingly cool, especially in the mornings and evenings. At higher altitudes, it's not uncommon for temperatures to drop considerably. We recommend bringing layers of warm clothing, including a light jacket or sweater, to ensure your comfort throughout the day.
- Are there accommodations available in Kamikochi?
- Yes, Kamikochi has several accommodation options. It's advisable to book your accommodation in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
- Is this tour wheelchair accessible/appropriate for guests with limited mobility?
- The nature of this tour means it is not wheelchair accessible and may not be appropriate for guests with limited mobility, given the amount of walking involved. Should this be of concern, contact us prior to booking to discuss options.
- Is lunch included on this tour?
- No. This tour does not include lunch however there will be opportunities to purchase food and drinks during the tour. If you prefer to, please also feel free to bring snacks and drinks with you. Note on Lunch: You will have the option when we stop at a convenience store to buy and bring a packed lunch to enjoy during the tour. Alternatively, there are a few dining options available on the Shinhotaka Ropeway and in Kamikochi, although choices may be limited. We recommend planning your lunch accordingly to make the most of your day.
(Travel Agency License No: Nagano 2-562)
Snow Monkey Resorts Tours
Nagano City Kurita 1015-7, NK Copo 202, Nagano, 380-0921 Japan
Member of All Nippon Travel Agents Association
Travel Service Supervisor: Tomoko Kasahara
April - November
09:00 - 18:00