1-Day Tour from Takayama: Unveiling the Charm of Gero Onsen
All Year Round
09:30 - 17:30
1-Day Tour from Takayama: Unveiling the Charm of Gero Onsen
Dive into a day of tranquility and cultural richness with our group tour to Gero Onsen, a haven celebrated for its healing hot springs. This full-day excursion from Takayama offers a harmonious blend of scenic natural beauty, historical insights, and the rejuvenating charm of onsen. Your journey starts with a soothing riverside stroll, setting a peaceful tone. Explore Gero Onsen Gassho Village to witness traditional living, delve into the mystical world of onsen at Gero Onsen Museum, and seek spiritual solace at Onsenji Temple. Cap your experience with a relaxing onsen bath, immersing in the local hot spring culture. This tour is an ideal fusion of relaxation, cultural discovery, and historical exploration, making it a perfect getaway to one of Japan’s most famed onsen towns.
Note: This tour includes a visit to an onsen, offering an authentic Japanese hot spring experience. For those new to onsen culture, it’s a unique opportunity to embrace local traditions. Please be aware that onsens typically involve communal bathing in natural hot springs, which can be a distinct yet enriching experience. Please contact us if you have any inquires.
- Scenic Views in Gero: Enjoy the picturesque beauty of Gero’s central area, where the town’s stream creates a serene and tranquil setting. This experience introduces the scenic splendor and relaxation that define Gero Onsen.
- Gero Onsen Gassho Village: Discover the architectural beauty and historical significance of traditional thatched-roof houses in this picturesque outdoor museum.
- Visit the Gero Onsen Museum to gain insights into the history, science, and cultural importance of onsen through interactive exhibits and detailed displays.
- Relaxing Onsen Experience: Indulge in the therapeutic waters of Gero Onsen, embracing the health benefits and serenity of this traditional Japanese hot spring experience.
Your serene adventure to Gero Onsen begins at Takayama Station, where your guide will welcome you at 9:30 AM. As you embark on the journey to Gero, renowned for its rejuvenating hot springs, enjoy the unfolding scenery of lush valleys and tranquil streams. The train ride itself sets a soothing tone for the day, with occasional insights from your guide enriching the tranquil journey to this famed hot spring town.
Upon reaching Gero, you’ll be guided to a picturesque riverside path. This serene stroll by the central stream of the town offers a calming ambiance, setting the tone for your day in this renowned hot spring haven. The gentle murmur of the flowing water and the charming views along the riverbanks invite a sense of tranquility, reflecting Gero’s reputation as a peaceful retreat.
From here we delve into the Gero Onsen Gassho Village, a picturesque outdoor museum showcasing traditional thatched-roof houses from regions like Shirakawa-go. As you wander through the open-air museum, discover various historical houses, each offering a unique window into the traditional lifestyles of Hida. These well-preserved structures capture the essence of a bygone era, showcasing the architectural ingenuity and rural charm of the region. This immersive experience provides a deeper understanding of the area’s heritage, set against the backdrop of Gero’s tranquil natural beauty.
After enjoying some time for lunch, your tour resumes with a visit to the Gero Onsen Museum. This visit offers an enriching dive into the history and science behind onsen. The museum’s interactive exhibits and detailed displays unravel the mysteries of these natural hot springs, illuminating their role in Japanese culture and health practices. The museum experience not only educates but also deepens your appreciation for the onsen culture integral to Gero and Japan as a whole.
Here, you also have the opportunity to enjoy a relaxing foot bath, a signature experience in Gero. This tranquil moment is not only soothing but also lets you personally experience the health benefits of the onsen water. It’s an ideal way to relax and immerse yourself in the local hot spring culture, feeling the therapeutic warmth and rejuvenation of these natural springs.
Steeped in legend and serenity, the journey through Gero Onsen is further enriched by a visit to Onsenji Temple. Dedicated to the healing Buddha, Yakushi Nyorai, this temple is revered for reportedly restoring Gero’s hot springs after an earthquake. As you ascend the temple’s steps, breathtaking views of Gero unfold, offering a harmonious blend of natural beauty and tranquility. Renowned as a ‘power spot,’ Onsenji provides a peaceful retreat, enriching your experience with its deep historical and spiritual significance.
As the afternoon gently progresses, from 3:00 PM onwards, you’ll have the delightful opportunity to immerse yourself in one of Gero’s celebrated onsens. This serene onsen visit offers not just relaxation but a chance to absorb the tranquil beauty of Gero’s natural surroundings. After rejuvenating in the onsen, you’ll have ample time to further explore the town’s charming streets and quaint shops. This leisurely segment of the tour is designed for personal exploration, inviting you to fully embrace the peaceful ambiance of Gero before reconvening with your guide at 4:15 PM.
Once reunited with your guide, commence the journey back to Takayama, sharing stories and reflections of the day’s experiences. Your arrival at Takayama Station at 5:30 PM marks the end of a serene and rejuvenating day, leaving you with lasting memories of the peace and beauty of Gero Onsen.
|Gather at Takayama Station to meet your guide and embark on the journey to Gero Onsen.
|Begin the tour with a tranquil stroll by the town’s central stream, absorbing the peaceful atmosphere and scenic beauty of Gero.
|Explore traditional thatched-roof houses in a picturesque outdoor museum, offering a glimpse into the historical lifestyles of the Hida region.
|Take a break for lunch and enjoy local culinary delights in Gero (lunch not provided by the tour).
|Discover the history and significance of onsen in Japanese culture through interactive exhibits at Gero Onsen Museum.
|Visit Onsenji Temple, a revered site of worshipping in Gero Onsen Area, known for its historical connection to the healing hot springs and offers panoramic views of Gero.
|Enjoy some free time to explore the town, shop for souvenirs, or relax in onsen experiences.
|Reunite with your guide and begin the return journey to Takayama, reflecting on the day’s experiences.
|Conclude your tour with lasting memories of the tranquility and beauty of Gero Onsen, arriving back at Takayama Station.
TOUR MEETUP POINT
1 / TAKAYAMA STATION @ 9:30 A.M.
The meetup point is outside of the ticket gates at JR Takayama Station. Once you have left the gates, look to your left to see a walkway and a carving depicting an ornate wagon. You may wait nearby there until the tour begins at 9:30 A.M. Be sure to look for the guide wearing a SNOW MONKEY RESORTS tour tag. There is also a waiting room with benches nearby for guests who have arrived early and would like to sit down; however, please make sure that you have left the waiting room and are in place at the meetup point at 9:30.
- The train to Gero Onsen from Takayama, and from Gero Onsen to Takayama
- Entrance to the Gero Onsen Gassho Village
- Entrance to the Onsen Museum
- Cost to take a bath in an onsen
- Guided walks at Gero Onsen
- English speaking guide
- This tour involves several hours of walking in the outdoors. We recommend that you wear shoes and clothes which are easy to walk in. Please check the weather forecast before you head to the meetup point and prepare an umbrella or rain coat if necessary.
- In winter the temperatures may drop below freezing, and even during the daytime temperatures may not exceed 1-2 ℃ on some days. Please wear warm clothing and footwear appropriate for snowy and cold conditions. There may also be snow and ice on the road/sidewalk, and so you should take care to not slip by preparing the correct shoes for such conditions.
- During the tour, there will be ample time allocated for you to enjoy lunch, experience a rejuvenating bath in an onsen, and explore at your own pace. However, please make sure that you are at the respective meetup points at the time stated by your guide. If you get lost or need assistance, feel free to call the number which is listed on your tour pass, and our staff will assist you immediately.
- What should I wear/bring?
- Please wear clothing appropriate to the season in which you are taking the tour, and check the weather forecast ahead of time. Guests may wish to bring rain coats or umbrellas on rainy days, or sunscreen to avoid sunburn during the summer months. In the winter months, the air temperatures will be cold (5 to -5 ℃ on average), and so gloves, winter boots, warm hats, and hand warmers are recommended. Otherwise, please feel free to bring any other items, such as water or a snack, which you would normally carry when walking in the outdoors.
- Is this tour wheelchair accessible/appropriate for guests with limited mobility?
- The nature of this tour means it is not wheelchair accessible and may not be appropriate for guests with limited mobility, given the amount of walking involved. Should this be of concern, contact us prior to booking to discuss options.
- Is lunch included on this tour?
- No. This tour does not include lunch however there will be opportunities to purchase food and drinks during the tour. If you prefer to, please also feel free to bring snacks and drinks with you.
(Travel Agency License No: Nagano 2-562)
Snow Monkey Resorts Tours
Nagano City Kurita 1015-7, NK Copo 202, Nagano, 380-0921 Japan
Member of All Nippon Travel Agents Association
Travel Service Supervisor: Tomoko Kasahara
All Year Round
09:30 - 17:30