If you didn’t bring any ski gear with you to Japan, no worries! Shiga Kogen has got you covered. You can find hotels and stores that rent out and sell winter gear. At most stores they also give you detailed information on where to go, how to get there, and where not to go.
In Shiga Kogen most of the rental ski gear is found inside hotels. In the Okushiga area, you can find rental stores in hotels like the Okushiga Kogen Hotel and the Grand Phenix. In Yakebitai, the Shiga Kogen Prince Hotel West, Shiga Kogen Prince Hotel East offer rentals.
Besides rental shops in hotels, there is SNOWCAN, a ski rental chainstore with the head office in Tokyo. Snowcan stores can be found all throughout the highlands. If you rent something at one location but will not get back there, dropping your rental gear off at a Snowcan store at another location is no problem. Just mention the name of the place you rented at, and drop you stuff off. See below for the location of Snowcan rental shops:
- Ichinose area – Down the Ichinose Diamond slope is the Restaurant Diamond. The store is inside the restaurant building
- Ichinose area – In front of the Ichinose Family slope you’ll find the Shiga Kogen Olympic Hotel. The Snowcan shop is in the hotel
- Takamagahara area – Found in the Dakekanba restaurant building
- Hasuike area – Located in the restaurant building Hasuike Gateway Station, close to the Hasuike bus stop
- Yokoteyama & Kumanoyu – Found right in front of the Hotaru-onsen/Suzurikawa-onsen bus stop
Prices for a full set of rentals differ per hotel or shop can differ. If you’re a guest at a hotel you might get your ski gear for half price. Generally though, prices go from 5000 JPY for adults and 3500 JPY for children.