FROM HAKUBA: SNOW MONKEYS, MATSUMOTO CASTLE & DAISEKKEI SAKE BREWERY
- Visit the world-famous snow monkeys and learn all about what makes them so unique
- Lunch at a nearby restaurant and enjoy Nagano’s renowned food culture
- Visit the iconic Mastumoto Castle – one of four remaining original castles in Japan
- Indulge in ‘sake’ with a tasting and learning experience all led by your guide at Daisekkei Sake Brewery (non-alcoholic options also available)
This tour operates every Weds., Fri., & Sun. from Dec. 16th 2018 to Mar. 15th 2019 however is not available from Dec 24th 2018 to Jan 3rd 2019.
Running during the peak of Nagano’s snow season, this tour includes a visit to the Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park – home to the only troop of monkeys in the world known to bathe in hot springs – followed by lunch and afternoon visits to the iconic Matsumoto Castle and historic Daisekkei sake brewery. Starting and concluding at Hakuba, your English-speaking guide will accompany you to two of the region’s most popular destinations before introducing to the indulgent and warming world of sake. With the convenience of starting and concluding your tour in Hakuba, this tour is a great way to experience 3 of Nagano’s most acclaimed sites and experiences in combination with your ski and snowboarding adventure!
Your guide will meet you in Hakuba – Hakuba Wadano @ 08:00, Happo Bus Terminal @ 08:15 and Hakuba Goryu @ 08:30 (please see below for full details including maps/images of pick-up points) – and then transport you to the Snow Monkey Park where you will spend time with the world-famous monkeys. Your guide will take you along the forest trail leading to the park and into Jigokudani or “Hell’s Valley” – home of the snow monkeys. As the only troop of monkeys in the world known to bathe in hot springs, your guide will introduce these truly curious creatures and provide you time to enjoy the unique experience of observing them in close proximity.
Your visit to the snow monkeys is followed by lunch at a nearby restaurant, where your guide will explain your options (including vegetarian) and is always happy to discuss Nagano’s renowned food culture.
After lunch, the tour heads to Matsumoto Castle, one of the four original castles remaining in Japan and designated as a National Treasure. Built 400 years ago, the imposing 6-storey structure of white and black walls is commonly referred to as the ‘Crow Castle’. You will have time to explore the castle grounds and interior – a steep climb for those headed all the way to the top!
From Matsumoto the tour heads back toward Hakuba but not before stopping at one of the region’s best sake breweries, Daisekkei. Meaning ‘Big Snow Valley’, the brewery has been in operation since 1898, utilizing the pure and abundant waters of the snow-covered mountains and locally-grown rice. Mastering sake takes a life time of dedication. Dip you toes into this seductive world as your guide explains the process, terminology, and appreciation of Nagano’s renowned most renowned beverage (with non-alcoholic options also available).
From the brewery the tour returns to Hakuba where you will be dropped-off at the original designated points between 18:15 and 18:30.
Pick-up points in Hakuba
For the convenience of guests staying in different areas of Hakuba Valley we offer 3 alternative pick-up and drop-off points. Please ensure that you nominate your preferred pick-up in the Special Requirements section of the reservation form and (if known) provide the name of your accommodation.
Pick-up Point ①: Tokyu Hotel, Hakuba Wadano @ 08:00
The first pick-up point is at the entrance of the Tokyu Hotel at Hakuba, Wadano. Please wait under the covered area outside of the hotel. Several tour companies collect guests from the bus terminal so please ensure that you are looking for the Snow Monkey Resorts tour.
Pick-up Point ②: Happo Bus Terminal @ 08:15
The second pick-up point is outside the Happo Bus Terminal. Please wait under the covered area outside of the building. Several tour companies collect guests from the bus terminal so please ensure that you are looking for the Snow Monkey Resorts tour.
Pick-up Point ③: Spicy Rentals, Hakuba Goryu @ 08:30
The third pick-up point is outside the Spicy Rentals buildings across the road from the Escal Plaza building at Hakuba Goryu. Please wait to the left of the building (when facing the building), as our bus will stop in the parking area next to it.
|08:00-08:30||First pick-up at Wadano, Hakuba at 08:00, followed by the second pick-up at Happo Bus Terminal at 08:15, and Hakuba Goryu at 08:30. Your guide will greet you and once all guests have been collected, get underway to the Snow Monkey Park.|
|10:15||Arrive at the Snow Monkey Park area. Prepare and walk along the forest trail into the park.|
|11:00||Arrival at the Snow Monkey Park. Enjoy watching the wild macaques bathing in the onsen and going about their lives.|
|12:00||Depart the park, get back on the forest trail, and head to the lunch restaurant.|
|12:45||Have lunch at a restaurant nearby the Snow Monkey Park.|
|13:30||Depart the restaurant and head toward Matsumoto.|
|15:00||Arrive at Matsumoto Castle where you guide will take you around the historic structure before allowing you time to explore for yourself.|
|16:15||Depart Matsumoto and head to Daisekkei Sake Brewery.|
|16:45||Arrive at Daisekkei Sake Brewery where your guide will introduce you to the indulgent world of sake - Japan and Nagano's most famous drink.|
|18:15-18:30||Arrive back at Hakuba, where the tour concludes.|
- Transportation fee from Hakuba to the Snow Monkey Park and between activities/attractions
- Snow Monkey Park entrance fee
- Lunch (vegetarian options are available, please let us know beforehand)
- Matsumoto Castle entrance fee
- Sake tasting
- English-speaking guide
- Bullet train tickets
- Please wear suitable shoes for the walking trail and suitable clothing for temperatures potentially below 0°C
- During the winter it is common to see the Snow Monkeys enjoying the hot spring bath, however from spring up to autumn there will be times where the monkeys play or eat in the water, however please note that the monkeys are wild animals and there is no guarantee that there will be monkeys in the bath.
- There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park. In such case we will provide an alternative activity.
- Infants (0-5) is free of charge. A infant lunch is not included and the order will be made directly to the restaurant according to your needs.
- The tour application deadline is 1 day before the tour date at 17:00.
- Confirmation email of your reservation will be sent to you within 48 hours after booking.
MEETING PLACEGoogle Map
3 Meeting Places
What is the payment procedure after I submit a booking request?
Once your booking request is confirmed on our end, we will send you an electric invoice to the email address you submit in the reservation form. Once you have received the email, please click on the inserted link and complete payment either via credit card or Paypal.
Dec - Mar (Wed, Fri & Sun)
08:00 - 18:30
3 Meeting Places