1-DAY TOUR: SNOW MONKEYS & SNOW FUN IN SHIGA KOGEN
- Play around in the snow of the Japanese mountains.
- See the snow monkeys in their wintry habitat.
- Have lunch nearby the Snow Monkey Park.
- Go up to the ski resorts of Shiga Kogen, the biggest ski resorts in Japan.
- Have fun sledging, snow-scooting, snow-biking, or riding a ski lift to go up to the mountain top.
*This tour is limited to groups of 2 people and more.
The tour starts at 8:45 at Nagano Station from where you will be taken to the Jigokudani Monkey Park. There you get to see the Japanese macaques bathing in hot springs, frolicking around the park, and cuddling each other to stay warm. Our guide will tell you interesting facts about the park and the snow monkeys while you stroll around. After having spent some time with the snow monkeys, we head for lunch at the restaurant nearby the Snow Monkey Park.
After having enjoyed a well-deserved lunch, we will get ready for the snow part of the tour. We will head all the way up to one of the ski resorts of Shiga Kogen, the biggest ski area in Japan. This mountainous area was one of the scenes for the 1998 Winter Olympics and every year a huge amount of snow comes falling down from the heavens and makes for an amazing scenery.
We will take you to the snow activity slope where you can enjoy playing around in the snow. There are a great many tools you can use for having fun in the snow at the park like snow sledges, snow-scooters, snow-bikes, and many others. Those who have no experience ski/snowboarding have plenty of things to do on the ski slope.
After having fun on the slope, we will then ride a ski lift to go up the ski slope with the altitude of 1950 meters (5850 feet) high. You can enjoy viewing panoramic scenery of the entire northern Nagano area.
This tour will give you the highlights of Japanese winter. Join us on this snowy adventure!
|08:45|| Meet at Nagano station directly opposite of the Shinkansen exit at the information board towards the East Exit. Our guide will be there by 8:30.|
We will first go to the Snow Monkey area by public transport. We have to get moving by 8:50, so please don't be late!
|10:00||Welcome to the Snow Monkey area! We will get to Yudanaka from where we will head to the Snow Monkey Park. After a 30 minute walk through a beautiful forest trail we will have arrived at the Snow Monkey Park.|
|10:50||Arrival to the Snow Monkey Park, enjoy Japanese wild macaques bathing in onsen or frolicking around the park.|
|12:15||Have a lunch nearby the Snow Monkey Park.|
|13:00||Leave the lunch restaurant and go up to the snow-covered mountains of Shiga Kogen Highlands.|
|13:45||Arrival at the ski resort. After preperations, you can enjoy your time with various snow fun tools to go down the slope and play with fresh snow!|
|15:15||Leave the snow fun area and then take a ski lift to go up the mountain. Enjoy viewing a mountainous scenery of Nagano and take some extra photos.|
|16:00||The end of snow activity. Prep for departure.|
|16:45||Arrival at the Yudanaka Station. A train back to Nagano Station leaves Yudanaka at 17:10.|
|18:30||Arrive back to Nagano Station.|
- Transportation from Nagano Station to the Snow Monkey Park and to Shiga Kogen Ski Resorts and back to Nagano Station
- Entrance fee to the Snow Monkey Park
- Lunch (vegetarian options are available)
- English-speaking guide
- Snow activity fees in Shiga Kogen
- Optional pick-up service (free pick-up service is available if you are staying in Nagano City around Zenko-ji Temple or Hotel Kokusai 21 from Dec 1 2017 to March 31 2018. Please click on the link for a detailed explanation)
- Bullet train ticket
What to bring:
- The temperature of winter months in Shiga Kogen is cold and can be minus 5 – 10 degree. Please be dressed in warm, waterproof clothing and boots for snow activities. There are rentals for snow outfits (snow jackets, pants, gloves, snow boots) available for ¥500 each.
- Confirmation of your reservation will be sent to your email address within 48 hours after booking.
- Children from 3 years old and up can join this tour. Rentals for small sizes are available as well.
- There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park. In such case we will provide an alternative activity.
- Infants (3-5) are free of charge. (No tour meal is included. Please order foods directly to the restaurant.)
MEETING PLACEGoogle Map
JR Nagano Station Information Board
Kurita, Nagano-shi, Nagano, 380-0921, Japan
What time of the bullet train should I ride to arrive in Nagano on time? What time does the bullet train depart back to Tokyo after the tour?
The start and finish of the tour are arranged according to the bullet train (called Hokuriku Shinkansen) timetable. See below for specific timetables on the bullet train departure and arrival times to/from Nagano Station.
Departing Tokyo Station – Arriving Nagano Station:
Tokyo: 06:28 – Nagano: 08:06 – Hakutaka
Tokyo: 06:52 – Nagano: 08:40 – Asama
Tokyo: 07:20 – Nagano: 08:43 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only) *
* You can still take 07:20 – 08:43 train since JR Nagano Station isn’t big at all and there is only one Shinkansen ticket exit. The tour meet-up is just after the Shinkansen ticket exit so please come straight up to there.
Departing Nagano Station – Arriving Tokyo Station:
Nagano: 19:03 – Tokyo: 20:23 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Nagano: 19:08 – Tokyo: 20:52 – Asama
Nagano: 19:38 – Tokyo: 21:16 – Hakutaka
What is the payment procedure after I submit a booking request?
Once your booking request is confirmed on our end, we will send an electric invoice to the email address you submit in the reservation form. Once you have received the email, please click on the inserted link and complete payment either via credit card or Paypal.
I am staying in (Yudanaka/Shibu) can I join the tour?
There definitely is a possibility, depending on the situation, to take this tour when staying in the Yudanaka or Shibu area. Please note that the meeting point will be Yudanaka Station. The time of meeting will change as well as the time of return. Please make sure to let us know at the time of booking as to where you are staying so we can inform you.
Everyday - Dec 22 to Mar 31
8:45 am - 18:30 pm
JR Nagano Station Information Board