1-DAY TOUR: SNOW MONKEY & COUNTRYSIDE CYCLING
- Visit to the Snow Monkey Park
- Enjoy the playful green season monkeys
- Have lunch at a restaurant nearby the Snow Monkey Park
- Breathe in the fresh air while cycling through the countryside and a historic onsen town
- Learn about local customs and culture
A great tour for the green season. This one-day guided tour takes you to see the world famous Snow Monkeys that reside in Jigokudani, followed by a downhill cycle through the Japanese countryside and an old hot spring town.
We will meet you at Nagano Station at 9:35 am (the guide will be there by 9:20am). From Nagano Station, get taken to the Snow Monkeys in Yudanaka. The region’s snow monkeys are world-famous for their habit of soaking in the hot spring during the winter. These amazing macaques will let you get really close to them for some great photo opportunities.
After saying goodbye to the snow monkeys stroll back along the tranquil forest trail. Then you will have a lunch at a restaurant nearby the trail exit before getting your bicycle and heading off to the countryside and a traditional hot spring town.
Learn of the history and culture of the region while cycling past many panoramic sights. The cycling route takes you mostly downhill through farmlands and rice paddies, grape fields and apple orchards. Having seen your share of nature, we will ride to a town called Shibu Onsen, which has a history of over 1300 years with its hot springs. Here you get the chance to try local delicacies made by using hot spring sources.
The tour ends at Yudanaka Station where you can get the train back to Nagano, or before getting on the train, take a refreshing foot bath for free!
|9:35||Meet up with the guide at Nagano Station. The meeting point is across from the Shinkansen exit/entrance under the Information Board. Our guide will be there by 9:20.|
|Welcome to the Snow Monkey area!|
|We will get to Yudanaka from where we will head to the Snow Monkey Park. After a 30 minute walk through a beautiful forest trail we will have arrived at the Snow Monkey Park.|
|11:30||Arrival to the Snow Monkey Park, enjoy Japanese wild macaques bathing in onsen or frolicking around the park.|
|12:15||Depart the park and get back on the forest trail to your lunch place.|
|13:00||Have lunch nearby the Snow Monkey Park.|
|13:45||Leave the lunch restaurant and head to the place where your cycling adventure start. After getting your bottle of water and helmet, you're ready to start making your way down past rice paddies and an onsen town!|
|16:00||Arrive at Yudanaka Station where you'll go to the hot spring foot bath to relax your feet before getting on the train back to Nagano. The train leaves from Yudanaka to Nagano Station at 16:43.|
|17:30||Arrival at JR Nagano Station.|
- Transportation fee from Nagano Station to the Snow Monkey Park and between activities/attractions
- Snow Monkey Park entrance fee
- Lunch (vegetarian/vegan options available. Please let us know beforehand)
- Use of bicycle/helmets
- A bottle of water, local delicacies
- English-speaking guide
- Bullet train ticket
- Entree to hot spring
- Please wear suitable shoes and clothes for cycling.
- Children from age 10 can join this tour. Adult pricing starts from 13 and up.
- From spring up to autumn it is less likely that the monkeys bath in the bath.
- There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park. In such case we will provide an alternative activity.
- In case of bad to extreme weather conditions, we might not be able to provide the cycling part of the tour. In that case, we will provide an alternative activity.
- Confirmation of your reservation will be sent to you within 48 hours after booking via email.
- Local public onsen (hot spring) is available after the tour. If you want to make use of the onsen, we suggest to bring a towel and a change of clothes. The entrance fee is ¥300 and towels can be bought at the onsen. The onsen has shampoos, body soap, and a hairdryer.
MEETING PLACEGoogle Map
JR Nagano Station Information Board
Kurita, Nagano-shi, Nagano, 380-0921, Japan
What time of the bullet train should I ride to arrive in Nagano on time? What time does the bullet train depart back to Tokyo after the tour?
The start and finish of the tour are arranged according to the bullet train (called Hokuriku Shinkansen) timetable. See below for specific timetables on the bullet train departure and arrival times to/from Nagano Station.
Departing Tokyo Station – Arriving Nagano Station:
Tokyo: 07:20 – Nagano: 08:43 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only) *
Tokyo: 07:24 – Nagano: 09:14 – Asama
Tokyo: 07:52 – Nagano: 09:30 – Hakutaka
* You can still take 07:52 – 09:30 train since JR Nagano Station isn’t big at all and there is only one Shinkansen ticket exit. The tour meet-up is just after the Shinkansen ticket exit so please come straight up to there.
Departing Nagano Station – Arriving Tokyo Station:
Nagano: 17:55 – Tokyo: 19:20 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Nagano: 18:22 – Tokyo: 20:00 – Hakutaka
What is the payment procedure after I submit a booking request?
Once your booking request is confirmed on our end, we will send you an electric invoice to the email address you submit in the reservation form. Once you have received the email, please click on the inserted link and complete payment either via credit card or Paypal.
I am staying in Yudanaka/Shibu/Kanbayashi, can I join the tour?
For guests staying in Yudanaka Onsen and Shibu Onsen or Kanbayashi Onsen, it is possible to join the tour in those areas rather than traveling to JR Nagano Station. Guests staying in Yudanaka and Shibu can meet the tour at Yudanaka Station while guests staying in Kanbayashi Onsen can meet the tour at Enza Cafe in Kanbayashi. This will change the tour start time. Please let us know at the time of booking if you would like to arrange one of these meeting points.
Everyday - May 7 to Oct 31
9:35 - 17:30
JR Nagano Station Information Board