1-DAY TOUR: SNOW MONKEY & COUNTRYSIDE CYCLING
- Visit to the Snow Monkey Park
- Enjoy the playful green season monkeys
- Have lunch at a restaurant nearby the Snow Monkey Park
- Breathe in the fresh air while cycling through the countryside and a historic onsen town
- Learn about local customs and culture
A great tour for the green season. This one-day guided tour takes you to see the world famous Snow Monkeys that reside in Jigokudani, followed by a lovely downhill cycle through the Japanese countryside and an old hot spring town.
We will meet you at Nagano Station at 8:45 am (the guide will be there by 8:30am). From Nagano Station, get taken to the Snow Monkeys in Yudanaka. The region’s snow monkeys are world-famous for their habit of soaking in the hot spring during the winter. These amazing macaques will let you get really close to them for some great photo opportunities.
After saying goodbye to the snow monkeys stroll back along the tranquil forest trail. Then you will have a lunch at a restaurant nearby the trail exit before getting your bicycle and heading off to the countryside and a traditional hot spring town.
Learn of the history and culture of the region while cycling past many panoramic sights. The cycling route takes you mostly downhill through farmlands and rice paddies, grape fields and apple orchards. Having seen your share of nature, we will ride to a town called Shibu Onsen, which has a history of over 1300 years with its hot springs. Here you get the chance to try local delicacies made by using hot spring sources.
The tour ends at Yudanaka Station where you can get the train back to Nagano, or before getting on the train, take a refreshing foot bath for free!
|08:45||Meet at Nagano station directly in front of the Shinkansen exit at the information board towards the East Exit. The guide will be there by 8:30. We will first go to the Snow Monkey area by public transport. We have to get moving by 8:50, so please don't be late or you'll be left behind.|
|Welcome to the Snow Monkey area.|
|After getting transported to the entrance of the hiking trail we will head right off to the Snow Monkey Park.|
A 30 minute walk through a beautiful forest trail to the Snow Monkey Park.
Make sure that by this time you have proper shoes on, or get some rentals at the Information & Souvenir shop.
|12:15||Have some delicious lunch nearby the Snow Monkey Park.|
|13:00||Prep for the cycling tour.|
|13:30||Start of the downhill cycle. We will stop at a few locations so you can learn about the town and its history.|
|15:30||Arrive at Yudanaka Station and get on the train back to Nagano. No need to cycle back up the hill. The train leaves from Yudanaka to Nagano Station at 15:30.|
|16:30||Arrival back to Nagano Station.|
- Transportation fee from Nagano Station to the Snow Monkey Park and between activities/attractions
- Snow Monkey Park entrance fee
- Lunch (vegetarian/vegan options available. Please let us know beforehand)
- Use of bicycle/helmets
- A bottle of water, local delicacies
- English-speaking guide
- Bullet train ticket
- Entree to hot spring
- Please wear suitable shoes and clothes for cycling.
- Children from age 10 can join this tour. Adult pricing starts from 13 and up.
- From spring up to autumn it is less likely that the monkeys bath in the bath.
- There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park. In such case we will provide an alternative activity.
- In case of bad to extreme weather conditions, we might not be able to provide the cycling part of the tour. In that case, we will provide an alternative activity.
- Confirmation of your reservation will be sent to you within 48 hours after booking via email.
- Local public onsen (hot spring) is available after the tour. If you want to make use of the onsen, we suggest to bring a towel and a change of clothes. The entrance fee is ¥300 and towels can be bought at the onsen. The onsen has shampoos, body soap, and a hairdryer.
MEETING PLACEGoogle Map
JR Nagano Station Information Board
Kurita, Nagano-shi, Nagano, 380-0921, Japan
What time of the bullet train should I ride to arrive in Nagano on time? What time does the bullet train depart back to Tokyo after the tour?
The start and finish of the tour are arranged according to the bullet train (called Hokuriku Shinkansen) timetable. See below for specific timetables on the bullet train departure and arrival times to/from Nagano Station.
Departing Tokyo Station – Arriving Nagano Station:
Tokyo: 06:28 – Nagano: 08:06 – Hakutaka
Tokyo: 06:52 – Nagano: 08:40 – Asama
Tokyo: 07:20 – Nagano: 08:43 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)*
* You can still take 07:20 – 08:43 train since JR Nagano Station isn’t big at all and there is only one Shinkansen ticket exit. The tour meet-up is just after the Shinkansen ticket exit so please come straight up to there.
Departing Nagano Station – Arriving Tokyo Station:
Nagano: 17:55 – Tokyo: 19:20 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Nagano: 18:14 – Tokyo: 19:44 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Nagano: 18:22 – Tokyo: 20:00 – Hakutaka
What is the payment procedure after I submit a booking request?
Once your booking request is confirmed on our end, we will send you an electric invoice to the email address you submit in the reservation form. Once you have received the email, please click on the inserted link and complete payment either via credit card or Paypal.
I am staying in (Yudanaka/Shibu/Shiga-kogen) can I join the tour?
There definitely is a possibility, depending on the situation, to take this tour when staying in the Yudanaka or Shibu area. Please note that the meeting point will be Yudanaka Station. The time of meeting will change as well as the time of return. Please make sure to let us know at the time of booking as to where you are staying so we can inform you.
Everyday - May 1 to Oct 31
8:45 am - 16:30 pm
JR Nagano Station Information Board