[Spring Only] 1-DAY TOUR: SNOW MONKEY & CHERRY BLOSSOM IN NAGANO
- Day tour with visits to the famous Jigokudani monkeys and some of the best cherry blossom spots in northern Nagano.
- Observe Japanese wild macaques up close at the park.
- Enjoy a well-deserved Japanese lunch.
- See the cherry blossoms of Japan’s countryside.
This tour takes you from JR Nagano Station to the world-famous Jigokudani snow monkeys and to some of the most beloved cherry blossom viewing spots in Nagano. Seeing the blooming cherry blossoms (called hanami in Japanese) is one of the most Japanese things one can do whilst being in the land of the rising sun.
This seasonal tour is limited, operating between April 10th and 30th 2019.
Located in the cooler, mountainous region of northern Nagano, cherry blossoms tend to bloom later in this region than those in cities like Tokyo or Kyoto. Every year, the blossoms normally come into bloom from middle of April. Nagano is not as famous as aforementioned cities but has many lovely places where you can see the brightly colored flowers. If you wish to get off the beaten track and see the wild monkeys & cherry blossoms on the same day, this tour is perfect for you.
We first take you to the Jigokudani Monkey Park, where you can observe the wild Japanese macaques at incredibly close distance. April is generally the month when new-born babies arrive to the Jigokudani monkey troop. Usually there are 20 – 30 babies born every spring, and it’s endearing to see the newborns taking their first step and climb.
After being filled by a Japanese lunch, the tour will take you to hanami spots where cherry blossoms can be seen. The spots are selected depending on the degree of bloom of the blossoms on the tour date*. Each spot has different types of cherry blossoms with overall more than 500 – 1000 sakura trees. You get to experience the yearly tradition to welcome spring in full.
After enjoying the cherry blossoms, you will be taken to the train that takes you back to JR Nagano Station. The tour is scheduled to conclude at JR Nagano Station between 17:30-18:30*.
*Tours will end at slightly different times depending on the chosen location for each day’s hanami. We monitored the blooming of the flowers in order to select the best possible location for each day’s tour.
|09:35||Meet at Nagano station directly in front of the Shinkansen exit at the information board towards the East Exit. Our guide will be there by 9:20. Once all guests have arrived you will head toward the Snow Monkey Park.|
|Welcome to the Snow Monkey area!|
|10:50||Walk along the forest trail (approximately 25-30 minutes) into the Snow Monkey Park where you will have the chance to observe the monkeys in close proximity.|
|13:00||Enjoy lunch at a restaurant nearby the park|
|13:45||Leave the lunch restaurant and head toward the day's chosen location for cherry blossom viewing|
|We monitor the blooming of the cherry blossoms and select the best location to view them for each tour, meaning that the location will vary from day-to-day but is always selected to give guests the best possible experience!|
|17:30-18:30||Arrival back to Nagano Station where the tour concludes.|
- Transportation fee from Nagano to the Snow Monkey Park and between activities/attractions
- Snow Monkey Park entrance fee
- Lunch (vegetarian options are available, please let us know beforehand)
- English-speaking guide
- Bullet train tickets
- Please wear suitable shoes for the walking trail.
- There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park. In such case we will provide an alternative activity.
- In the case that the cherry blossoms are not in bloom at any of the above-mentioned sites on the day of the tour, we will instead take you to the Zenko-ji Temple and Sake brewery. In that case, we will notify you of the change in itinerary 3 days in advance.
- Infants (0-5) is free of charge. A infant lunch is not included and the order will be made directly to the restaurant according to your needs.
- The tour application deadline is 1 day before the tour date at 17:00.
- Confirmation email of your reservation will be sent to you within 48 hours after booking.
MEETING PLACEGoogle Map
JR Nagano Station Information Board
(TW) 380-0921 日本长野縣長野市栗田
What time should I get on the bullet train to arrive in Nagano on time? What time does the bullet train depart back to Tokyo after the tour?
The start and finish of the tour are arranged according to the bullet train (called Hokuriku Shinkansen) timetable. See below for specific timetables for the bullet train departure and arrival times to/from Nagano Station.
Departing Tokyo Station – Arriving Nagano Station:
Tokyo: 07:20 – Nagano: 08:43 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only) *
Tokyo: 07:24 – Nagano: 09:14 – Asama
Tokyo: 07:52 – Nagano: 09:30 – Hakutaka
* You can still take 07:52 – 09:30 train since JR Nagano Station isn’t big at all and there is only one Shinkansen ticket exit. The tour meet-up is just after the Shinkansen ticket exit so please come straight to there.
Departing Nagano Station – Arriving Tokyo Station:
Nagano: 19:03 – Tokyo: 20:23 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Nagano: 19:08 – Tokyo: 20:52 – Asama
Nagano: 19:38 – Tokyo: 21:16 – Hakutaka
What is the payment procedure after I submit a booking request?
Once your booking request is confirmed on our end, we will send an electric invoice to the email address you’ve submitted in the reservation form. Once you have received the email, please click on the inserted link and complete payment either via credit card or Paypal.
I am staying in Yudanaka/Shibu/Kanbayashi, can I join the tour?
For guests staying in Yudanaka Onsen and Shibu Onsen or Kanbayashi Onsen, it is possible to join the tour in those areas rather than traveling to JR Nagano Station. Guests staying in Yudanaka and Shibu can meet the tour at Yudanaka Station while guests staying in Kanbayashi Onsen can meet the tour at Enza Cafe in Kanbayashi. This will change the tour start time. Please let us know at the time of booking if you would like to arrange one of these meeting points.
Everyday - Apr 10 to Apr 30
9:35 - 18:30
JR Nagano Station Information Board