[APRIL-MAY ONLY] 1-DAY TOUR: SNOW MONKEY AND CHERRY BLOSSOM
- Day tour with visits to the famous Jigokudani monkeys and some of the best cherry blossom spots in northern Nagano.
- Observe Japanese wild macaques up close at the park.
- Enjoy a well-deserved Japanese lunch.
- See the cherry blossoms of Japan’s countryside.
This tour takes you from JR Nagano Station to the world-famous Jigokudani snow monkeys and to some of the most beloved cherry blossom viewing spots in Nagano. Seeing the blooming cherry blossoms (called hanami in Japanese) is one of the most Japanese things one can do whilst being in the land of the rising sun.
Located in a chilly, mountainous region, northern Nagano’s blossoms start blooming later than those in cities like Tokyo or Kyoto. Every year, the blossoms normally come into bloom from middle of April. Nagano is not as famous as aforementioned cities but has many lovely places where you can see the brightly colored flowers. If you wish to get off the beaten track and see the wild monkeys & cherry blossoms on the same day, this tour is perfect for you.
We first take you to the Jigokudani Monkey Park, where you can observe the wild Japanese macaques at incredibly close distance. April is generally the month when new-born babies arrive to the Jigokudani monkey troop. Usually there are 20 – 30 babies born every spring, and it’s endearing to see the newborns taking their first step and climb.
After being filled by a Japanese lunch, the tour will take you to hanami spots where cherry blossoms can be seen. The spots are selected depending on the degree of bloom of the blossoms on the tour date. Each spot has different types of cherry blossoms with overall more than 500 – 1000 sakura trees. You get to experience the yearly tradition to welcome spring in full.
After enjoying the cherry blossoms, you will be taken to the train that takes you back to JR Nagano Station. The tour is scheduled to conclude at JR Nagano Station by 17:30.
This seasonal tour is limited to mid-April to early May. Don’t miss this special season in Nagano Prefecture!
|08:45||Meet at Nagano station directly in front of the Shinkansen exit at the information board towards the East Exit. Our guide will be there by 8:30. We will first go to the Snow Monkey area by public transport. We have to get moving by 8:50, so please don't be late or you'll be left behind!|
|Welcome to the Snow Monkey area!|
|After getting transported to the entrance of the hiking trail we will head to the Snow Monkey Park! We will have to walk for 30 minutes through a beautiful forest trail to the Snow Monkey Park.|
|12:15||Have a Japanese lunch nearby the Snow Monkey Park.|
|13:00||Leave the lunch restaurant.|
|Take the arranged vehicle to head to cherry blossom spots in the northern Nagano.|
After enjoying the cherry-blossom viewing, you will be taken to the nearest station where you can take a train to go back to JR Nagano Station.
|17:30||Arrival back to Nagano Station.|
- Transportation fee from Nagano to the Snow Monkey Park and between activities/attractions
- Snow Monkey Park entrance fee
- Lunch (vegetarian options are available, please let us know beforehand)
- English-speaking guide
- Bullet train tickets
- Please wear suitable shoes for the walking trail.
- There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park. In such case we will provide an alternative activity.
- In the case that the cherry blossoms are not in bloom at any of the above-mentioned sites on the day of the tour, the alternative tour content will be the same as the tour to visit Zenko-ji Temple and Sake brewery. In that case, we will notify you of the change in itinerary 3 days in advance.
- Confirmation email of your reservation will be sent to you within 48 hours after booking.
- Infants (0-5) is free of charge. A infant lunch is not included and the order will be made directly to the restaurant according to your needs.
MEETING PLACEGoogle Map
JR Nagano Station Information Board
What time of the bullet train should I ride to arrive in Nagano on time? What time does the bullet train depart back to Tokyo after the tour?
The start and finish of the tour are arranged according to the bullet train (called Hokuriku Shinkansen) timetable. See below for specific timetables on the bullet train departure and arrival times to/from Nagano Station.
Departing Tokyo Station – Arriving Nagano Station:
Tokyo: 06:28 – Nagano: 08:06 – Hakutaka
Tokyo: 06:52 – Nagano: 08:40 – Asama
Tokyo: 07:20 – Nagano: 08:43 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only) *
* You can still take 07:20 – 08:43 train since JR Nagano Station isn’t big at all and there is only one Shinkansen ticket exit. The tour meet-up is just after the Shinkansen ticket exit so please come straight up to there.
Departing Nagano Station – Arriving Tokyo Station:
Nagano: 17:55 – Tokyo: 19:20 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Nagano: 18:22 – Tokyo: 20:00 – Hakutaka
What is the payment procedure after I submit a booking request?
Once your booking request is confirmed on our end, we will send you an electric invoice to the email address you submit in the reservation form. Once you have received the email, please click on the inserted link and complete payment either via credit card or Paypal.
I am staying in (Yudanaka/Shibu/Shiga-kogen) can I join the tour?
There definitely is a possibility, depending on the situation, to take this tour when staying in the Yudanaka or Shibu area! This also goes for those staying at the Shiga-kogen area, but only during the winter months. Please note that the meeting point will be Yudanaka Station for the former two and for the latter it will be Hasuike bus terminal. The time of meeting will change as well as the time of return. Please make sure to let us know at the time of booking as to where you are staying so we can inform you.
Everyday - Apr 20 to May 3
8:45 am - 17:30 pm
JR Nagano Station Information Board